- Establishment name
- “Nishi no Ie, Kayabuki Magariya” Farm Inn (Traditional thatched house)
- Tadataka Nomi
- 34 Shimomura, Ogata, Kakunodatemachi, Semboku-shi
- Telephone number
- tadataka@ apost.plala.or.jp
- 1 night, accommodation only, JPY4,500 / 1 night, breakfast only, JPY5,500 (Discount available for consecutive night stay)
- Hair dryer, TV, fridge, towels, washing machine, microwave.
- Experience menu
- Farming experience, bathing in the forest
- Area information
- 5 minutes’ walk to the cherry trees on the banks of the Hinokinai River.
A guesthouse situated in Kakunodate, “Little Kyoto” of the old Michinoku area of Tohoku. This traditional magariya (bent house) is surrounded by seasonal flowers and a family vegetable garden, featuring wild vegetables and vegetable patches. You can tell what the season is by looking at what is growing in the garden. Spend time relaxing at this traditional thatched house, which was built in 1885.
The house and its thatched roof is now looked after by Mr and Mrs Nomi. Take in the history of the town with its old samurai residences and then spend time at this guesthouse to let your memories sink in.
Message from the owner
This is an old private house that has been refurbished and preserved. You can feel the essence of Kakunodate, a historic town where samurai lived, all over the house in every nook and cranny. If you want to go further afield, you can watch the sunset on the Sea of Japan, go for a cruise on Lake Tazawa, go hotspring hopping in Nyuto Onsen-kyo (hotspring village), go for a walk in the beech forest or take in play by Warabi-za (theater company). You can also use this guesthouse as a base for making small excursions on the local railway line (Akitanairiku line).
Net to our guesthouse we have flowerbeds and a family kitchen garden with wild herbs and other vegetables. We have garden trees, such as chestnut and persimmon. Countryside experiences are available according to the season (reserved on request).